Wednesday, August 6, 2008

need a tornado alert, watch the rodents


Sitting at a restaurant, I saw the lights flicker. Then another flicker. Across the way, I saw the Lego store lights go out for a few, long seconds. The odd light show was long enough to create panic in the eyes of the mall rat. Like any rodent, they instinctively know when something is up. The flickering lights were some sort of Morse code that sent the mall rats scurrying towards the exits.

Oblivious to the rodents flight, I continued to sit and watch as the smaller stores abruptly closed and secured their storefronts as if there was going to be a looting. It was not closing time, but something was wrong. I walked back to my exit and headed towards the car. Walking through the department store, I was warned by the teenage, loss prevention guards that I should head immediately to the shoe department to seek cover. I thought, how did he know that is where I usually seek refuge? Heeding no warning, I continued outside. The glass doors opened and I was met by a musty air and surrounded by an erie green sky. Sheets of rain and strobes of lighting filled the sky. There was a tornado warning.

According to Tom Skilling, we can blame Canada. The warm Canadian winds blew in and messed up the jet streams and created a whirlwind mess. Tom knows his meteorology. I blame Canada too and will keep a closer eye on frenzied crowds. Maybe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a test!

Evie