Tuesday, May 20, 2008

In search of a venue

I wondered what to expect or how to go about looking for a venue. Instinctively, I turned on my computer and found a few websites that talk about wedding planning. The sites implied that this should be a fun time and eluded to visions from the movie, Father of the Bride . . . gallivanting around with friends, sipping champagne, nibbling on tasty treats and being pampered by caterers and wedding coordinators.

This was not my reality.

I was invited to an open house to see a venue and meet a caterer. Sounded easy enough. Shortly after I arrived at the open house, I realized that this was not my scene. It was a small house bustling with engaged couples, mothers of the brides, fathers of the brides and miscellaneous wedding entities. The bizarre part isn't that they were happily mingling, but that they were happily mingling about one thing - wedding stuff. I felt out of place. It was pleasantly nice, but something was just a little off. It felt like another movie, the Stepford wives - the wedding sequel . . . Maybe I just felt out of place because I went solo. Next time Chris will join in the mingling. He is a good mingler.

No comments: