Monday, July 20, 2009

bocce ball

We decided to try out a new sport, Bocce Ball. I figured if hearing-impaired, vision-impaired, old men can do it, then so can I. I also figured that if I set my standards low, then I have a better chance of success. Besides, the old men make it look like so much fun.

Since I have never stepped onto a Bocce Ball court, I never understood how fast the court rolled. I always pictured something similar to lawn jarts, except with bocce balls. I was completely wrong.

To start off the game, I threw the pallino, the smaller ball, into the air with a lot of determination and very little technique. It loudly ricocheted off of the side and back walls with a vengeance. Come to think of it, my first throw looked very similar to one of my miniature golf shots, where the pallino could have easily been the golf ball desperately trying to miss the Indian's falling hatchet. That's when I blamed my throw on the poor conditions of the artificial court.

As it turns out, the artificial court was closer to what tournament conditions should be than a lawn jart court. ( Click here to see how to make your own bocce court.)

After tweaking my miniature golf inspired technique, I came to enjoy the game. It was fun and relatively effortless. Bocce definitely brought out the old man in me.

No comments: